Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mayaro

We are really getting settled in and started here. It's good to have our own vehicle so we can move about on our own. We've attended two small congregations and have met lots of neat people. This island is beautiful, teeming with personality, history, traditions and culture. You can sit in one spot and watch and listen for hours.

This past Sunday we went Mayaro. That's on the east coast and it took us about an hour and a half of hard driving to get there. We passed through some rain forest areas...very lovely and cool. We followed one of the local preachers, Bro. Clarke. I'm very glad we did! The roads are not as well marked! But we made it safely. Bro. Clarke taught the class and Dad preached. It was good to worship with these brethren. There were about 15 that meet there. These young congregations need so much teaching! They meet in the community building there in Mayaro....right on the sea. You could hear the surf and smell the ocean breeze. It was a quiet and peaceful hamlet. I am so glad we went.

We had a delicious combined picnic with the Clarkes- let me tell you...their version of a picnic is hot food from a styrofoam cooler! We had sandwiches! But all together, it made a good meal. We then had some time to enjoy the ocean. It was beautiful. I love the ocean...there's just something about the waves. Or maybe it's that constant scented breeze (ok, sometimes it's less than savory, but this time it was just that pristine salt breeze), maybe it's the sound of the breakers, the constant movement...I don't know. But I'll just have to keep going back so I can find out! :)

My sister Anna forgot her camera battery :( I urged her to use my camera so these are hers. I felt really bad for her...But she's good!!




3 comments:

Lindsey said...

How beautiful! Sounds like a great day. :)

Unknown said...

That beach looks almost identical to Pangani, here on the Tanzania coast. Beautiful and so peaceful!

Julia said...

So lovely. I'm so glad that you got to go visit over there! <3

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails