Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Begin With the End in Mind

“Begin With the End in Mind”

This principle was part of a secular article on rearing children I found in a magazine the other day. It went on to different points of which some were rather weak and others dumb-founding.
But that’s not the point. I was struck by that first line- Begin with the end in mind. How very important and profound!

As Christians, we should have this mind every day of our lives. When we first became Christians, we made that act of faith (baptism) with Heaven, the end, in mind. But do we spend every day with that same attitude?

“Not that I have already obtained, or am already made perfect: but I press on, if so be that I may lay hold on that for which also I was laid hold on by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself yet to have laid hold: but one thing I do, forgetting the things which are behind, and stretching forward to the things which are before, I press on toward the goal unto the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:12-14

Paul’s words, inspired by God are both a challenge and an encouragement. Every day we have the opportunity and obligation, as children of God to spend our time with the end in mind. What end? Living as a faithful child of God. That is the most important end. Any day where you were faithful to God, is not a wasted day. Maybe you didn’t get all your goals accomplished, but if you were faithful, if you strove to be pure, then your day was not wasted.
-Begin the day with the end in mind with your personal life- Bible study and prayer, attitude and outlook.
-Begin with your children, with the end in mind- Train their minds early in both the Word of God and good attitudes and habits.
-Begin with the end in mind with your marriage- I love to meet and talk with couples who have been married for so many years. There is a couple here in Trinidad that just celebrated their 50th. Start your marriage with 50 and 60 plus years in mind! Do what it takes to be the spouse you have agreed by marrying, to be.
Begin with the end in mind as a single person- Prepare you heart and mind for God’s use, whether it be marriage or single-hood. Be active, be aware of time, and use it wisely.

“Therefore let us also, seeing we are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising shame, and hath sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that hath endured such gainsaying of sinners against himself, that ye wax not weary, fainting in your souls.” Hebrews 12:1-3

The first part of this passage is referring to the faithful men and women in Hebrews chapter 11- they lived their whole life with the end in mind. We can have the same confidence and drive to live similarly. We have their encouragement and example to follow, and the more importantly we have salvation through Christ making it possible to live forever with Him in eternity. We will have the prize of Heaven when we have lived our lives faithfully, each day, with the end in mind.

1 comments:

Julia said...

Very well said, dear friend. Those are some of my favorite passages. <3

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails