Some people collect Coca Cola stuff, or ranch stuff, or thimbles. I enjoy collecting and using glass jars and bottles! I love finding old Mason jars or a unique jar that is brand new! Now, I realize that this could come back and haunt me, so I'm trying to be very careful! These jars are just the ones I've found here at this house and we've been using them, etc. Like that brown lidded one on the bottom left, it's the syrup bottle, and the shorter ones work great for leftovers, salad dressing and storing a series of brown beans! Well, maybe not the beans!
Who cares if it used to be a Old El Paso Salsa Jar!
(Step 1, soak in very hot water. Step 2 scrub off label with scrubbie, rag, fingernails, whatever it takes! Step 3, dry. Voila!)
I especially love Mason jars. Did you know that Mason makes those sweet little salt and pepper shakers? Yes indeed!
I'm telling you, jars are very artistic looking!
Things you can do with jars: store spices, grains, baking ingredients, beans and the like. Use as leftovers containers for your fridge. Vases. Candle floats. Store glass marbles in a mason jar...a very lovely idea! And my favorite....make jam! Like strawberry, or peach, or...No! I've got it! Fudge Chocolate Sauce for ice cream stores best in a glass jar. I'm sure of it!!!
One last picture...oh, and let me tell you about these jars! You see, these are not just wide mouth pint jars! No, the two on the edges are older, probably about 3o years old. The one the right was probably made in the 60's! I found one fruit jar here from the 40's or 50's! Anyway, I think it's neat..plus I love to can so it kinda goes together. :)
So if you have a pretty or unusual jar, now you know what to do with it! :)


2 comments:
What a great idea! We like to use our jars to put homemade tomato sauce in. =)
Marli
I saw a tutorial online where they used old jars of all shapes and sizes as photo frames! I am totally going to use that one - now that I know how to get the stubborn labels off! Thanks for this post!
Post a Comment