Monday, January 24, 2011

Menu Monday


Happy Monday!

Today, Miles, my 13 year old brother helped me pick out the menu. He wanted something pork, so that's what I did. We sat and looked at recipes and got really hungry, then I went in and made barbeque pork instead!

Just a little note about my brothers: they are half carnivores, one quarter FHB-ivores (Fresh Hot Bread) and one quarter herbivores. Especially if that includes green beans, brown beans, corn, potatoes and sweet potatoes! Hehe...I love them! They make cooking so much fun! :)

So my menu for tonight was:

* Barbeque Pork

* Steamed mixed greens

* Candied sweet potatoes (Ok, I splurged and made them candied...I love sweet potatoes!!)

* Fresh fruit salad (pineapple, oranges and bananas)

* Irish Soda Bread

If you hadn't noticed, I love to bake bread. And Irish Soda Bread is a favorite! I tried this one tonight and it was great!

Brown Butter Soda Bread
Makes 2 loaves

3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
One beaten egg
Poppy Seed

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to blend.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, stirring, until it begins to brown {about 3 minutes}. Add the melted butter & buttermilk to the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until the flour mixture is moistened.
Dump the dough out onto a floured work surface & knead gently, until the dough just comes together {about 7 turns}, do not overwork the dough! Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a ball. Place the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet, sprinkled with cornmeal, spacing about 5" apart. Brush the tops with the egg & sprinkle with poppy seeds. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1/2" deep X in the top of each loaf.
Bake until the bread is golden brown & a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Transfer the loaves to a cooling rack & cool for 30 minutes before serving.{I served it warm and it was great.} Serve the bread warm with butter.

Very tasty and very easy! Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails