Monday, January 3, 2011

Menu Monday

For the month of January I'm going to post our evening menu every Monday night. Or it might be Tuesday! Ha! Anyway, feel free to post yours too!

Menu the first:
*Pampano Fish in Ginger Sauce.
(Sounds fancy, but it's not. It's super easy!)

*Steamed pumpkin with cinnamon sugar
(The pumpkin here is totally different then the pie pumpkins in the US...not sure what to compare them too, but they are very good and most people here will eat them! Since we are a little shy on the orange vegetables, this is great! )

*Green Beans
(Just plain: I was in a hurry, but they were fresh and tasty all the same.)

*Fresh Lettuce Salad
(With homemade Lemon Basil Dressing, another super easy fix!)

*Focaccia Bread
(My latest favorite bread to bake and I can't wait to try some different flavours!!)

*Coconut Star Fruit Salad
(Emily and I concocted this up this very evening!)

Aaand....here you go!

Coconut Star Fruit Salad
Slice 6 star fruit, 3 bananas and 2 oranges into a glass dish.
Sprinkle with sugar to taste.
3/4 cup coconut milk (we used powdered coconut milk and water)
1/2 cup water with 4 teaspoons cornstarch mixed in.
Heat milk and water mixture till thick.
Let cool and mix into fruit. Best served chilled.

This made 9 small servings. Based on how well people like it, we'll make a little more next time!


Please excuse the un-scraped bowl...we should remember that next time....

Star fruit is a beautiful fruit! I didn't get a chance to play with my camera with them, these are Emily's pictures. Maybe next time! :)

I hope your evening meal was delicious and have a great week!

Oh and a fast quiz: The evening meal- Dinner or supper?

:D

6 comments:

Anna said...

To answer your quiz....whether it is called Dinner or Supper or whatever else, it is all food, so it doesn't matter! ;) Haha I'm kidding.

I think it should be supper b/c dinner somehow sounds more refined then what we usually have for "the evening meal" :)

Julia said...

Well aren't you just miss fancy pants?! Hehehe... That sounds so delicious that I may just have to use my formal manners - if you'll coach everyone at the table! (hahaha... Sopa Lodge?;) Now where can I get some starfruit...

Supper, Dinner... either one. But you know if you're one of the Ls it's absolutely SUPPER cause they're from Iowa. Hehe... I'm saying supper more these days just cause that's how they do it here. It's more old fashioned, methinks.

Last night we had steak bites (basically stew meat barely cooked:), white rice, sauteed garlic/brown sugar green beans, cauliflower with cheese sauce (that Lee bravely choked down ha!), and cheese biscuits. Doesn't sound nearly as refined as your ooh-la-la supper, but twas good!

I love you! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! Can you post a picture of a pumpkin?

Also, would you share your focaccia recipe? I love that stuff, but have never made it.

Lindsey said...

Sounds good! Monday's supper was...tuna sandwiches. Very posh! ;)

Definitely "supper"!

Lydia said...

Thanks for all the comments! Julia, you know I love your cheese biscuits! You should share the love! ;)

Peyton, I've got a post on the veggies here a brewin' in my head! And here's a link to the recipe I used...it's super easy!
http://www.cookingforseven.com/2009/03/no-fuss-focaccia/

I like that site...very wholesome and simple. :)
Happy baking!

Linz, tuna works for me! You have been kinda busy!! Praying for you....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe!

And I forgot to weigh in on the supper/dinner debate. My father will insist that it is supper, as will most Southerners. But having lived in the midwest for so long, I find myself saying dinner more often than not. So you have here a classic case of a house divided.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails