Tuesday, April 26, 2011

some thoughts on courage

When you live in the mission field you see and hear all sorts of new things. Some funny and interesting, some terrible and heartbreaking. Yesterday I heard an older sister in the Church here say in refrence to her conversion many years ago, "My husband say I leave you if you get baptized." She didn't say how the story turned out, whether her husband left her or not, but she was baptized, she remains a faithful Christian, raised several faithful children and has faithful grand children now. I don't know anything about the husband....if he was ever converted. But this I know- she had courage.

Do we have that same kind of courage? Would we risk our husband leaving us to obey the gospel? Do we have the courage to stand up for what is right? What about such issues as modesty, purity, discretion, and faithfulness?
Not every courageous act is as heroic sounding as this woman standing up to her husband. Sometimes it is simply standing for the truth as a family; with the knowledge and experience of being alone sometimes. Perhaps its modesty- and not only modest apparel, but modest words and actions.

I'm thinking as I type this out, "Why do we always get on these modesty and propriety speeches?! Let's learn this lesson, girls, let's learn it!!" But then I must remind myself that Satan is out there, he's got the world and he's after us! (to quote Br. Harrub from fb) We've got to be courageous, we've got to stand for the right, because the world will not, and God is depending on us to do the job.

There are times that I'm brought to tears when I see and hear what the brethren do here to be Christians. And I'm both inspired and encouraged to do better, and shamed and rebuked in my failings. I know I can do better; I know we all can.

"These things have I spoken unto you, that in me you may have peace; In the world ye have tribulation; but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

2 comments:

Marli said...

Wow! What a post Lydia!! Great thoughts and so eye opening! Thank you.

Marli

~aj~ said...

This is a great post, Lydia! Blessings to you and your sweet family!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails