Saturday, April 24, 2010

Proverbs 31:10

I'm really excited about this study! Thanks to Kristen for heading it up!

"A worthy woman who can find? For her price is far above rubies."

As this week I've thought about this little verse, I've been challenged by it's conciseness. It's not just a suggestion, but an observation. It's up to us to work hard to become a worthy woman.
Worthy here is also translated excellent and virtuous. What does this mean? It can apply to much, but I think it's talking generally about what the core of a woman of God should be: one who has moral excellence. For when the foundation and core is pure the rest falls under that: it has a stable place to grow.

I just read in Guy N. Woods commentary on James a paragraph on righteousness- "He who does righteousness is righteous; but he who does righteous does right; therefore he who does right possesses righteousness." When we are working toward and on moral excellence and virtue we possess them, at least in part. That is such an encouragement to me! We can have confidence that we will gain a little every day, in our goals and our worth.

So what are some goals to work toward from this verse? I would say working toward more complete moral excellence. Things like integrity, honesty, true love (and I include many forms of love in that one word). What do you think are some traits that would fall in this category?

To close I want to share two other verses that are such a propelling force for me- Proverbs 12:4a-"A worthy woman is the crown of her husband" & Proverbs 19:14- "House and riches are an inheritance from fathers; But a prudent wife is from Jehovah." What more noble goal could there be then to work toward being such a blessing to your husband?

2 comments:

Julia said...

I really like the term "moral excellence" - it's come up several times in this study, and I love how descriptive it is! Good thoughts! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog through someone else's. Have to agree with Julia about moral excellence. Thanks for sharing this perspective.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails