Monday, March 15, 2010

Prices

[Here is the lesson outline for a devotional I did for a ladies brunch last Saturday. If it doesn't make sense, don't hesitate to comment.]

I went into Hobby Lobby to frame a small painting that I bought for my Dad in Tanzania, East Africa. I walked up to the desk and started the process of looking at frames and that sort of thing- now I'm not the greatest at framing art, but I do enjoy looking at it! The lady was very patient and helpful and I filled out the paper and handed it back to her; she gave it back and asked me just one little question "How much is it worth?". I kinda looked at the paper, at the painting and then at her- my mind was going a totally different direction then she was thinking, so I scribbled twenty dollars on it, we finished it up and I walked to my car. But I sat there and just let my mind go. What is the price of my painting?! Well, I payed 10 dollars US for it, I bought it from this little Tanzanian guy, I have no idea of his background, if he's even alive right now! I spent $1500 on a ticket to Tanzania, I spent 30 precious minutes with a friend I only get to see maybe once or twice a year, I bought it because my Dad loves art and it looked just like the kind he would like! What was it worth? Way more than 20 dollars! It's actually priceless! But it's also worthless. In the world's standard, in almost any one else's standard, it's not worth very much.
Then I got to thinking about other pieces of art, say, Mona Lisa. (I really like that painting.) Do you know that it is worth 700 million US? Seven hundred million dollars. We know who painted it, we know all about it, we know about de Vinci, we know about the story of Mona Lisa, etc. But is it any more important then my little painting? Is it worth anything more? Really? No. In relation to things eternal, and things that make life real, no. It made me think of Matt. 16:26- For what shall a man be profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and forfeit his life? or what shall a man give in exchange for his life?










*What is the price of that painting?
*I couldn't really put a price on it: It was both priceless and worthless.

-Mona Lisa
*worth 700 million dollars.
*is it any better in actuality then my little painting from TZ? It's both priceless and worthless.

What are real prices? The price we place on our selves, our children, our spouse, our future spouse, our time, God, etc.

I'm focusing on God and time.

What price does God put on us? And what price do we put on God?

-The price God puts on us:
Gen. 1:26&27 (made in God's image)
Proverbs 139:14 (God has a plan for us before we are even born)
John 3:16 (God sent his only son to die for us)
Philippians 2:8 (Jesus came willingly to bear our sins. To become sin.)

-The price we put on God.
John 5:24 (He will save us)
I John 1:9 (Forgives sins)
I John 5:13 (Hope of heaven)

*We are all very humbled and grateful for the price God places on us: we're faithful and confident in the price we have in God. But what about every day living? When life gets busy and distracting, do we lose track of the price?


-What is the price we put on our time?
*We as women are frequently commenting on time. There are times that I just marvel at time and how fast it goes by! And I'm not even a Mom!

*What the Bible says about time:
James 4:14 (life is a vapor)

a) what do we do with our time?
Do we use it to God's glory? Or do we get caught up in the cares of the world?

How much time do we as women spend on our physical appearance?
I Peter 3:3-4 (the hidden man - it's our hearts and the beauty of Christ within us that matters.)
Romans 12:1-2 (Present ourselves holy to God)

How much time do we spend on things like books, movies and hobbies?
Phil. 4:8 (careful choices)
Proverbs 4:23 (guard our hearts and minds)
Luke 6:45 (the things we put into our hearts and minds will come out)

How much time do we spend on our houses and belongings?
Luke 10:40-42

How much time do we spend worrying about something?
Luke 12:22&25 (By worrying can we add to our lives?)
Philippians 4:6 (Do not worry!)

-These are just a few categories but they have really made me think about the emphasis I place on things. When we put a price on our time, what are things we can do to make it price worthy?

*Personal study and prayer time.
a) Study- do we feed our spiritual body as much as we do our physical body?
-Hebrews 2:1-3 (We are urged to not neglect our salvation)
II Corinthians 13:5 (Prove ourselves)
II Timothy 2:15 (Study)
I Peter 3:15 (Always ready to give an answer)
Look at these action words (underlined) We have to stand up and take action with our personal lives.
b) Prayer- do we talk to God as much as we should? How close would you be to your husband or friends if you only talked a few minutes before you go to sleep?
c) Memorization- Do we store up God's word in our heart? (Matt. 4) Jesus had a scripture ready for everyone of Satan's temptations. How many of us can quote movies and books? I can! What would our lives be like if we could quote a passage from God's word as much as we can quote movies and books?



This doesn't even go into the ways we can use our time wisely by serving others, but we must be sure of our salvation. And as we grow in it, on of the byproducts will be serving others. As we grow closer to God our lives will reach others and the circle will extend. We will affect our families, our friends and the people we meet.


Ending- We are of great price. God considers us a great price. Let's live our lives as a great price. I Corinthians 6:20 I Peter 2:9-10 Ephesians 5:15


(This lesson has been very challenging for me. As I've studied each of these different points, and thought about the significance of time, my heart is pricked. And I'm challenged and provoked to try even harder to do better. )

1 comments:

Lindsey said...

This is good, Lydia. :) Thanks for doing it, and for sharing it with us!! <3

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails