Saturday, February 13, 2010

A few thoughts while sweeping...

I was sweeping the mud room today and the thought crossed my head- Our house would be so much cleaner if I swept the mud room every day. We walk through the mud room every time we come into the house. It's where we keep the shoes and coats, etc. That's where we bang our shoes, wipe our feet and then go into the main part of the house. And if I swept it every day, we wouldn't be tracking in all the dust and dirt into the main part of the house. Sounds simple, right? Not a cure all, but it would definitely help!

I know my mind is simple, but here's what it made me think: Do I need to sweep my "mud room" every day? What are the things I'm allowing to enter my head, my mind, my heart? I'm not necessarily talking about big sin issues, but little things that can get us down and clog up my life. Like the dustiness of a negative attitude. Or the little clumps of discontent and nagging tongue. What about just a general lack of responsibility?

Every morning I have the choice of waking up, sweeping the mud room; that is going to help keep a lot of the dirt out of the house. Not all of it, but it will help.
Every morning I have the choice of waking up and being responsible and "sweeping the mud room" of my mind. Removing all the little things that can keep me from being the kind of Christian, first of all and sibling and daughter, second of all, that I can be.

Here is a thought that encourages me to no end. And is a nice ending to what I'm trying to say-

...lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith...
Hebrews 12:1&2

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great thoughts, Lydia. We all need to do better at keeping our mud room swept. :) Love you.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful analogy. I agree with both you and Joy!

Lindsey said...

Wonderful, Lydia! Thanks for this. :) I love you.

Anonymous said...

As I was sweeping the floor last night after dinner, I thought of YOU - and your wonderful insight!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails