My whole family loves to read...and lately we've had "The Fellowship of the Ring" floating around the house and we all take turns reading it and enjoying it together. We do crazy things like walk into the room and announce trivia questions like "How did Oin die" and "How many days was it from the time Frodo was stabbed to the time he got to Rivendell" and "How did Gandalf make his signiture "G" ? Things like that...and while we enjoy the movie, we still love to read the book and discuss it! :)
I ran across a passage the other day and I wanted to share it, because it has a really good principle. (and by the by, Gandalf and Frodo share this conversation in the mines of Moria in the movie, where as it's proper place is in chapter 2, The Shadow of the Past.)
Gandalf is telling Frodo the history of the ring and as Frodo begins to see the import of the matter this comes up:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
Using our time wisely. It's not about what happens to us, it's about how we react to the events in our lives. I find that principle to be intriguing, and challenging. At least for me it's an ever present attitude choice: how am I going to react to the situation with which I'm faced. Will it be with a Christian spirit and a graceful attitude, or will it be out of passing emotions and lashing out?
So it's just a thought. And you could do so much more with this.
How are you deciding to use your time?


2 comments:
Lydia, nicely worded. This is also one of my favorite scenes and quotes - bordering on the profound. Thank you for sharing!
Teresa
www.goodlivingathome.com
this bit of advice he gave is something that sticks with me as well. such powerful words~ i should print them out as a reminder.
i am trying every day to apply this idea. it's not always easy~ but like i read to my sweet sister... i want to live every day with joy... to be happy as i strive for the finish line.
love you much~
chasity
Post a Comment