She was tall, she was tired, she had faint black half circles under her eyes. Her maternity jeans were clean, but her shirt was just a regular large gray sweatshirt, pulled tight over her extended pregnant belly. She pushed a cart with a baby in the seat; a sweet little baby girl about 9 months old, soft, short blond hair, and a grungy little pink flowered jumper suite. She was fed, but not happy: she was quiet but not content.
I was walking along, a warm lunch in my stomach, a nice jacket on my back, shopping for presents for my siblings. I was strolling along, thinking about things of my own, I might even have called a couple of them concerns. Until I saw her.
One girl. Alone. Unwed. 5 months pregnant with a 9 month old baby.
And my heart cried. She was just a girl! She was younger than me! What happened? Where along the line did the innocent girl become so burdened with life? I don't know. But it cut me to the quick.
She has a soul just like I do. I have stood alone in the dark right beside her. And there are so many like her. Living and breathing and working and trying, but lost, lost, lost. I have so many blessings. I have every hope. All I can do is trust and grow and pray and learn and work as hard as I can. But somehow, it doesn't seem enough.
I have eternal Hope. And I'm thankful, from the depth of my soul for that. But that girl....
...and my heart cries.
Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30


1 comments:
Lydia... wow. There are no words. Thank you.
Post a Comment