You know, there is a lot grown up people can learn from children's books. Me, I love books. I especially love to re-read books. Even children's books. There are a few I go back to over and over again- they are favorites, plus they have a huge message.
All of these have very important life lessons. (Ok, the one about the strawberry is just fun, and I love it and I'm going to use it to teach my little ones adjectives!) But the other four have more of a message that can influence our way of thinking as adults. The main focus is perspective- how we look at life.
It's really cute....it's about a little girl who is going to bake an apple pie, but the market is closed! Well, she certainly could just wait till the little market man get's back from fishing, but she has another option....she could just get her wheat from Italy, eggs from France, Cinnamon from Sri Lanka, milk from England, sugar from Jamaica, and apples from Vermont. So, she does!! And she's haunted me ever since....
The art work is very lovely- I'm not really very savvy on art stuff but, I like it! It's so neat and interesting to study! And the flow of the story is easy, and the whole thought behind it brilliant. But that's not the point.
The point that always gets me is that we can see the world everywhere we go. We don't have to go far away; it's neat, it's nice, it's an adventure when we do, but the real adventure is whatever we make it to be. It's about seizing those moments, make them teachable, whether it be to yourself or your children! Don't make life for yourself ho hum, be smart, be clever and see the beauty and sense of humor wherever you go.
So this book makes me think about how I'm seeing the world, if I'm actually seeing it or if I'm just kinda going along. You know, wishing I could see more, or complaining of my view when all I have to do is just live my life and SEE the world.


3 comments:
What a nice looking book, and hooray for another Lydia post!
a lovely post...
i haven't read this.
i guess it's time to visit the library.
hugs~
chas
I, too, love children's books. The title of your post caught my attention, and the Apple Pie book brought back some fun memories. I read this book with my kids in our homeschool several years ago. We found each place on the map as we read, and then we made an apple pie together. Good times! Thanks for reminding me.
Post a Comment